Show Me Day Highlight: Academic Fair

January 28, 2011

Wow our first blog post! Ashley and I (see the Show Me Day Coordinator page to find out who we are) are so excited to share information about Show Me Days! Feel free to comment with questions, concerns, or ideas. You can also reach us by email at showmeday@semo.edu or by phone at 573-651-5939.

It’s a beautiful day here at Southeast! Hopefully I can enjoy this great 50 degree weather this afternoon after I get off work. Ashley and I have been working hard this week getting ready for the upcoming February 19th Show Me Day! As of today (the 28th) we have 120 students registered to attend. It looks like we are on track to have about 200 pre-registrations, which is pretty standard for a February Show Me Day. Most of the academic departments have confirmed that they will be in attendance as well so students will definitely get to speak to someone from their department of academic interest. Show Me Days are the only time at Southeast that prospective students can talk to representatives from any academic department all in one central location. The Academic Fair is a great opportunity because not only do students get to talk to real professors, they will have a chance to speak with current students in the same major that they want to pursue.  I always enjoy talking to prospective students about public relations (my major) and spanish (my minor). I like to share helpful hints and tips about the programs that I wish I had known as an incoming freshman. I think the best way to get a feel for a major is by talking to students who are actually experiencing the classes in that major. I know some people just want to go to the sessions or get straight to the tour, but the Academic Fair is definitely worth your time to help you figure out what you might be interested in and whether or not you are a good fit for a particular program of study.

Want to know more about Southeast’s Academic programs? Click here!

Happy Friday!

Liz Vinson
Show Me Day Coordinator

1. #1 by Rini on October 11, 2015 - 8:54 pm

Clearly explaining the stcrtruue of the class (ie. explaining that students will have readings and what readings are) would be helpful. Clearly explaining suggested supplies for class would be helpful too. I remember being absolutely lost and anxious about what to bring to class at the beginning of First Year since I was so used to having directions/being told to do work in a certain way in high school.

2. #2 by Carmen on December 20, 2015 - 5:45 pm

You live in such a beautiful area. Awesome pic!As far as the name chngae, I tend to agree with your brother (who I need to go visit, btw) because some people might get confused. Maybe you could put a small identifier below the new name such as “formerly Bluff Area Daily” or something like that. But it’s your blog so have fun with it!! I’ll visit you regardless. 🙂

(will not be published)