After you graduate with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in English, there will be a huge number of opportunities waiting for you, and try for each one! After I graduated with my BA, I was offered positions at two newspapers, a medical school for writing grants (I have previous medical experience), and also a few advertising companies. Don’t go into this degree with expectations of “I will have this job,” because it won’t happen right out of school. You have to put in more and more work to get there; the degree is just the start! Personally, I did a year’s worth of Master’s hours and was offered a Teaching Assistantship. I graciously accepted the offer, and I now teach Comp I and Comp II at Southeast Missouri State University, while having a few other part-time jobs, all related to those various classes I took in my English education. My major piece of advice is to do everything you can for experience – go to conferences, publish creative and academic works, volunteer, teach, edit, and write everything down on your CV. It’s never too early to start building your professional portfolio!

Employers Like English Majors

We are trained how to write effectively.
We know how to read.
We know how to read well.
We can think critically.
We can mold ourselves into tight situations in a work environment.
We can also say the meanest things, with the nicest smile, and have you thank us after they’re said.
There is always a need for workers with a grasp on reality, work place politics, and excellent written expression skills.        People continually strive to be better readers, writers, and thinkers, and studying English will teach you these things. As math is the language of science, English is the language of humanities.

English Majors are Fun

When you’re around other English majors / degree holders, you will realize that we’re a fun group of people! Part of the beauty of the humanities is that individuals’ background experiences make their way into how they act and think as an academic. In the sciences, personal experiences and opinion are not as valuable as in literature or language. We can write about diversity, opinion, and perspective, arguing with one another for entire class periods or meetings, then make-up in the hallway, as the heated discussion was just for fun. Sometimes, these collaborations turn into “Fluffing Contests,” where you compete with your peers in trying to expand and deepen thoughts / ideas.

Loser buys Starbucks.

Every time.