Almost everyone remembers the following scenario from their childhood:

“Mom, me and Ashley are going to the park.”

Then your mother corrected you: “Ashley and I are going to the park.”

Remember how annoying that was? All you wanted to do was swing and slide, but your mother decided to waste your time by teaching you correct grammar. It worked, though. Now you have the ability to sound intelligent. Unfortunately, correct grammar came with a horrible side effect. You can’t hear someone say “me and John” without wanting to remind them that it’s “John and I.”

It’s definitely a risk to correct someone’s grammar. Whether you mean to or not, you imply that you are smarter than the other person. They might get angry or embarrassed, and you don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings or, even worse, get punched.

If you feel the need to correct someone’s grammar, ask yourself the following questions:

Am I their parent?
Am I their English teacher?
Does it really matter in this conversation?
Do I want to risk embarrassing them?

In general, it’s best to avoid correcting another person’s grammar in social situations. At best, it’s going to be awkward. Remember that people have different ways of speaking, so just chalk up grammar mistakes to their own personal style.

Side note: If someone is annoying you or making you feel inferior, start correcting their grammar. They’ll leave right away.