What do you think when you open a newspaper or a magazine? What is the first impression when you see a title of an article? Can you understand by the title what is it about? Will it be interesting for you or not?

I’m just a beginner in teaching. I started this new semester in my MA TESOL program with teaching a course, EN100 (which is “English Composition”). During the explanation of one of the topics (it was connected with Literacy Narrative) I showed a presentation for my students. That presentation included information about how to choose a topic, how to generate ideas, how to describe the settings and main characters, how to organize a narrative. The last slide had a name “Come up with a title.” I asked my students: “Why do you think we have this slide about the title at the very end? Why do we need to create a title at the last moment?” They didn’t know the answer. I explained to them from the point of view of an ex-journalist (previously I worked as a journalist for an online magazine in my country). What do you think my answer was? And what do you think about “the title creation at the very end”?

Now I’ll explain. When you first open your morning newspaper, what attracts you the most? What grabs your attention? How do you know that this article can be interesting for you without reading it? Right! That’s it! A title! The louder the title, the more attractive it is for a reader. Nobody will be interested in an article with the title like “Justin Bieber wrote a new love song” (except for Bieber’s fans). Boring, isn’t it? But what about this one – “A teenagers’ idol tried to kill a paparazzo”? I will definitely read these exciting news. That’s why a good writer should come up with a good idea, write it down, organize, proofread, edit everything and only at the end create a #grab_my_attention_title.